January 31, 2010

Travis Wood

I was informed Friday that Travis Wood passed away. I don't have any details of how it happened. I know Travis was a young guy and this news shocked many of us.

I first met Travis Wood when he was a developer on the Structures Analysis Program (SAM). SAM was a system used at the Air Force Flight Test Center to process and display aerostructures data in real-time and post-test.

Travis was a an amazing guy and I was lucky to have known him. Periodically we would talk about his latest amazing adventure. He built and competed in the battle bots robot competition. He was a contestant on I think two reality TV shows. Travis was an amateur radio enthusiast as well. Travis even competed in the DARPA challenge with a autonomous Toyota pickup.

His website "R" Junk Work's shows his projects in more detail.

I want to send my deepest sympathy to Kathy and Travis's kids Garrick and Veronica.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

Hi Bruce. I heard about Travis on Friday too. I work over at Dryden, and used to work with Travis when he was a developer at Sparta. I too was very privileged to know him. He was a funny guy and a fun person to be around. He always told the greatest stories and I really missed him when he went home to be a stay-at-home dad. My condolences also go out to his family. They're going to miss him so much.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Dave said...

I'm Travis' supervisor at China Lake, and I agree with all you have both said, couldn't say it better. He's been here for a little over 2 years, but he leaves a huge hole behind.

A friend of the family has set up a web site for comments, etc. I'll put that up here when I get it. The site also has info on the viewing and memorial (Lancaster) and funeral (Phoenix).

10:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words. A friend of mine has established a website in memory of Travis with information about the services and so forth. You can find that at:
https://sites.google.com/site/rememberingtravis/home

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home